A lot of people are posting a year end post for 2008. It's nice to see people looking back at the books they read for the year and picking out their favorite reads, and it's interesting to see what they picked. I thought it would be a good thing to try myself because with it recorded, I can look back in later years and see what my tastes were like.
Out of a total of 77 books read this year, very few got into my best list, but book ratings are highly subjective. I just went with my gut and rated them according to how I felt about the book as soon as I finished reading them. These lists are compiled from ratings I put down in my private notes.
All the links to my reviews here are to my Livejournal.
The Books that Blew Me Away – These books are those I gave top marks to when I first read them. It's a very hard list to get onto because I have to feel like I'm falling in love and cannot be parted from the book for it to get on this list. Only three got on it this year.
- Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (my review)
- Pride, Prejudice, and Jasmine Fields by Melissa Nathan (my review)
- Keeping it Real by Justina Robson (my review pt 1, pt 2)
Books that Came Close to Blowing Me Away - These came very close to getting top marks from me. This is a personal thing, but the books above I would put down and then obssessively think about when I could pick them up again. The books below, I didn't feel as consumed by the book, but still felt really impressed by them.
- Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair (my review)
- Wicked Game by Jeri Smith-Ready (my review)
- Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan (I need to review this when I have the book in my hands)
- The Outback Stars by Sandra McDonald (review coming soon)
Books I Really Liked/ Keepers. These each had several moments where I loved the book and overall I think these are books that deserve to be loved and read by others, but for some reason or other these didn't get into the top 7. I still consider these keepers, and all these authors are pretty much autobuys/ must read backlist authors. There are 19 of these books this year (Linnea Sinclair's name comes up a lot here, I was reading her backlist in 2008):
- The Down Home Zombie Blues by Linnea Sinclair (my review)
- Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford, Bk 1) by Kelley Armstrong (my review)
- Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas (my review)
- Grimspace by Ann Aguirre (my review)
- An Accidental Goddess by Linnea Sinclair (my review)
- Urban Shaman by C. E. Murphy (my review)
- Wanderlust by Ann Aguirre (my review)
- Cry Wolf (Alpha and Omega, Bk 1) by Patricia Briggs (my review)
- Easy Freedom by Liz Berry (my review)
- Jinx by Jennifer Estep (my review)
- Finders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair (my review)
- Gabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair (my review pt 1, pt 2)
- The Good Neighbors by Holly Black (my review)
- The Nanny by Melissa Nathan (my review)
- Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, Bk 1) by Charlaine Harris (my review)
- Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler (my review)
- Burndive by Karin Lowachee (my review)
- An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly, Bk 3) by Charlaine Harris (my review)
- The Decoy Princess and Princess at Sea by Dawn Cook (my review)
And for my New Year's Resolution – it's the same resolution as last year , to read 100 books.
- 2006 – 103 books
- 2007 - 99 books
- 2008 – 77 books
- 2009 – let's get it back up to 100!!